Supermarine Spitfire MK IX (Desert Airstrip) - Lego compatible COBI 5545 - 400 brick set piece
In the early months of 1942, with the clear superiority of the Focke Wulf Fw 190 over the Spitfire VB, there was much pressure to get Spitfires into production using the new two-stage supercharged Merlin 61 engine.
The performance of the Spitfire IX was outstandingly better than the Spitfire V especially at heights above 20,000 feet. On the level the Spitfire is considerably faster and climb is exceptionally good. It will climb easily to 38,000 feet and when levelled off there can be made to climb in stages to above 40,000 feet by building up speed on the level and a slight zoom. Its manoeuvrability is as good as a Spitfire V up to 30,000 feet and above is very much better. At 38,000 feet it is capable of a true speed of 368mph and is still able to manoeuvre well for fighting.
This model depicts the Spitfire MK IX in a desert setting and also comprises a maintenance station.
- 400 blocks
- 2 figures – members of the Polish Fighting Team, Tunisia 1943
- Bodywork with pad printing
- Easy-to-follow instruction manual
- Compatible with LEGO and other leading brands of construction blocks
- Model dimensions
- Aircraft: (length x width x height) 280mm x 335mm x 135mm
- Maintenance Station:(length x height) 255mm x 100mm